Irish Cooking, what does it mean to you? My daughter asked me recently for a recommendation of something Irish to cook for her French flatmates and what immediately sprung to mind was bacon & cabbage, then brown-bread and then scones.
I’ve heard it said before that Irish cooking is a celebration of Irish ingredients rather than a cuisine in itself. But if you’re in France you’re not about to go sourcing or importing Irish ingredients to impress the frenchies. You’ll shop in the markets and you’ll use the best of French ingredients but to cook up something with a bit of Irish flair. So wherever you are you can cook Irish too.
May I suggest….
- Cinnamon and Apple Honeyed Porridge for breakfast and a snack of Apple and Raisin Wholemeal Breakfast Muffins.
- Maybe you’d fancy some Caramelised Red Onion Soda Bread topped with a local cheese.
- Lunch could be a Winter Warmer Peppered Parsnip, Potato and Leek Soup.
- Take our love of Cauliflower to create a Cauliflower and Sweet Potato Curry
- Does a Creamy Cheese and Onion Potato Bake sound tasty?
- How about the humble spud – try out one of my Eight Ways with Baked Potatoes
- Then there’s Parsley and Thyme Stuffed Chicken with Red Cabbage
- Sticky Sweet Roast Skeaghanore Duck Breast
- Beef and Onion Hotpot
- Irish Angus Fillet Steaks with Portabello Mushrooms
- Cheat’s Wellington with Jameson Jus
- Cranberry Pork Chops
- Honey-Glazed Rashers with Lemon and Vegetable Couscous
- Bacon, Cheese and Chutney Quesadilla
- Potato Farls with Crispy Rashers
- White Pudding with Pea Purée and Champ
- Carrot, Parsnip and Bramley Apple Mash
- Mustardy Mash (yes, we love our spuds)
- Parsley Stalk Potato Salad
- Pea and Garlic Crostini
- Blackberry and Apple Chutney
- and to finish how about some Rhubarb Crumble with freshly whipped cream
So what else do you consider to be Irish Food? I’d love to know what you think or what else you would suggest. These are all from Irish recipes from my cookbook Enjoy!
[Currently on Special Offer at 4.99 – click the link to buy direct from my Irish Publisher – Mercier Press]
Well hopefully this provides ample for Ellie to chose from !