There’s an expression I use from time to time something to the effect of ah sure it was so easy it practically cooked itself/made itself/drove itself etc. In this case it’s a case of ah sure it was so easy it practically wrote itself – it’s this blog post I’m referring to. I didn’t have to take the pictures and I didn’t have to write the recipe (tiny edit), they were bestowed upon me by PR for Folláin to do with what I wished, so I’m giving them to you! The recipe looks nice and easy and they’ve made some really tasty serving suggestions too. I’m particularly liking the idea of toasted honey drizzled hazelnuts with chopped apple, blackberry jam and natural yoghurt. It sounds crunchy, zingily sweet and delicious.
Folláin Recipe Ideas for Pancake Tuesday
As with all great culinary creations, you need a great base;
This recipe serves 6.
You will need:
110g plain flour
2 tbsp. melted butter
Vegetable oil for frying
Sieve 110g of plain flour with a pinch of salt, add two beaten eggs and gradually whisk in the milk until you get a smooth batter.
Leave the batter to rest for 30 minutes and stir in 2 tbsp of melted real butter.
Drop 1tbsp of the mixture over a hot pan which has been thinly coated in vegetable oil, and cook the pancake on each side for 2 minutes until golden-brown and fluffy.
Folláin Serving Suggestions
- For a simple treat, add Folláin No Added Sugar Strawberry Jam, roll and serve!
- Toast some chopped walnuts on a flat tray under the grill. Combine some fresh vanilla seeds with a dollop of natural yogurt. Add a spoon of the now vanilla infused yogurt to the freshly cooked pancake, and top with a dollop of Folláin No Added Sugar Apricot Jam, finish with a sprinkle of toasted chopped walnuts, and serve.
- Add a spoon of Folláin No Added Sugar Orange Marmalade to your pancake, and combine with a serving of sour cream for a surprising zingy flavour!
- Core and coarsely chop an apple. Drizzle split hazelnuts with Blossom Honey, and roast on a tray in a hot oven for 20 minutes. Mix hazelnuts with apple pieces and Folláin No Added Sugar Blackcurrant or blackberry jam, spoon the mixture into a freshly baked pancake, and serve with a dollop of natural yoghurt (or crème anglaise for a decadent desert treat!).
- Grill slices of fresh mango on a griddle pan until the skin is slightly charred. Toast flaked almonds on a high heat on the frying pan until golden brown. Spread Folláin No Added Sugar Raspberry jam onto one side of a freshly cooked pancake. Add the charred mango, toasted almonds, and a spoon of ricotta cream cheese; serve with sprigs of fresh mint.
- For a savoury treat, fry some spring onions and mushrooms for 2-3 minutes to soften, add some spinach leaves, stir until the leaves wilt and all the excess liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and stir in some cooked ham. Spoon a little ricotta and Folláin No Added Sugar Irish Tomato Relish on a pancake, top with some of the mushroom and spinach mixture. Roll the pancake up, sprinkle with Parmesan and bake in the oven for 15 minutes in a lightly oiled oven proof dish until thoroughly heated and lightly browned. (for extra fire, use no added sugar Folláin Flame Grilled Pepper Relish.
However you have them, Enjoy!
‘Til next time, Sheila.